From: Simon <turner25@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] sync'ing two computers (not related to emerge)
Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 21:33:41
1 hi there!
2 I've been using unison to synchronise and backup my computers. unison is
3 based on rsync IIRC but with the difference that it 'remembers' the state of
4 the folder that was synchronised. This way, if I delete a file on A, when
5 sync'ing it will be deleted on B. While rsync would leave the file on B...
6
7 I see rsync as a very good 'cp' program, but I need something that can
8 deal with conflicts (file changed on both hosts/directories) and can
9 propagate changes like deletes properly. Is there a way to get this
10 behavior with rsync (maybe i missed something)?
11
12 The reason i'm asking is that unison has been having problems recently in
13 sync'ing two pc... On my laptop, when i start the sync, it first checks it
14 for changes against the 'unison snapshot'. Changes done since last sync are
15 those that will be propagated. But it takes so long to check for changes
16 (disk input rate is too slow i think) that once it finished, when it's time
17 to send the changes to the remote server, the remote end has already
18 disconnected!
19
20 Thanks for the help/suggestions!