From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: can one tell me: gentoo vs opensuse
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 23:23:47
1 On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 5:04 PM, <ny6p01@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > And yet the documentation is clear enough for anyone to follow along. Which
3 > leads me to my next point: the Gentoo documentation is far and away the best
4 > of any distro I have tried. Whoever writes these docs deserves a heap of
5 > accolades for his efforts.
6 >
7 > Terry
8
9 This doesn't get pointed out enough. I started out on Mandrake myself
10 and as soon as I ran into a problem, there was such a drastic learning
11 curve, dealing with RPMs was horrendous at the time, it just wasn't
12 worth it to me to dig to find what was below the pretty layer when the
13 pretty layer didn't cut it. Then I used Slackware, which was great for
14 me, did exactly what I wanted when I asked and absolutely nothing I
15 didn't ask for... but it wasn't until I jumped into LFS that I really
16 learned a great deal about *how* Linux actually works. Gentoo is the
17 only place I've found comparable documentation to LFS, and even when
18 dealing with other distros I find myself relying on Gentoo and LFS
19 documentation more *each* than all others combined.
22 Poison [BLX]
23 Joshua M. Murphy