From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is the best way forward?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 04:29:25
1 On 2/24/21 9:16 PM, John Covici wrote:
2 > The portdir has to be the one gotten from git, not rsync,
3
4 ACK
5
6 I'm currently doing an "emerge -DUNe @system" on the restore of
7 /usr/portage (typical PORTDIR) from prior to messing with things today.
8
9 I've got multiple GB of git data. It looks like there are ~568 thousand
10 commits between March 24th last year and now. Once that's good, and I'm
11 back at a stable place, I'll try changing PORTDIR to be the git repo and
12 telling git to switch to the commit that's from March 25th. Then I'll
13 see if anything needs to be updated, doing so as necessary. Then I'll
14 leap frog a week at a time seeing what needs to be updated, doing so as
15 necessary. /Hopefully/ I can slowly walk forward. Time will tell.
16
17 > and remember I think there was a major profile change during that
18 > time period along with changes in the C compiler.
19
20 If I can slowly make my way forward in time via git commit points, I
21 /think/ that I /should/ be able to deal with profile and / or compiler
22 and / or glibc changes just like I would have X number of months ago. I
23 /think/!
24
25 > Unless you have a lot of customizations, reinstall would be much
26 > better.
27
28 I'd really rather not do that. I'm more likely to leave this system as
29 it is and plan on upgrading it some time in '21. There's considerably
30 more to it than I want to wholesale replace.
31
32 Besides, wouldn't each of the incremental processes over the last year
33 have been possible? ;-)
38 Grant. . . .
39 unix || die