From: Thomas Langer <tomtomlanger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] hostapd wlan ap AR9485 and Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 Windows 8
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 12:29:58
1 Hi All,
2
3 Just in case anybody ever stumbles into the same issues.
4
5 I had huge performance issues with my work notebook Lenovo T430s running
6 Windows 8 and an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 wireless network adapter,
7 connected to my Gentoo machine that has a TP Link TL-WN781ND network
8 adapter.
9
10 With performance issues I mean: the task manager showed only 802.11g
11 instead of n - and even this was not working fine as I had connection
12 drops, low reaction when connected via SSH to the machine, etc.
13 When using, for example, www.speedtest.net the test could not start due to
14 a failing ping and iperf showed about 100Kbit/s...
15
16 My setup is:
17 02:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network
18 Adapter (rev 01) with hostapd
19 Sheldor thomas # cat /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
20 interface=wlp2s0
21 driver=nl80211
22 ssid=******
23 bridge=br0
24 hw_mode=g
25 ieee80211n=1
26 macaddr_acl=0
27 auth_algs=1
28 ignore_broadcast_ssid=0
29 wpa=2
30 wpa_passphrase=***********
31 wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
32 wpa_pairwise=TKIP
33 rsn_pairwise=CCMP
34 country_code=AT
35 logger_syslog=-1
36 logger_syslog_level=2
37 logger_stdout=-1
38 logger_stdout_level=2
39 channel=6
40 ht_capab=[HT40-][SHORT-GI-40][RX-STBC1][DSSS_CCK-40][SHORT-GI-20]
41 wmm_enabled=1
42
43 Two iPhones with iOS 7.1.1 and an iPad running iOS 6.1.3 did not have any
44 issues, the connection was really fast, although I could not verify if
45 802.11n is used - there is only an expensive iperf app (given that for PCs
46 it's free to download...) and I could not find a way to display the
47 connection type... speedtest.net showed 25MBit which is the maximum my
48 provider would provide for what I pay :)
49
50 I was trying to resolve the issue by trying out various ht_capab settings,
51 wmm_enabled, wmi_enabled etc... nothing helped.
52
53 What did help in the end is... updating the Windows driver through the
54 device manager! Windows now displays 802.11n and iperf gives me 37.3
55 Mbits/sec, which is probably acceptable given the fact that I live in a
56 quite densely populated area and the PCI adapter in the server has only
57 2.4Ghz support.
58
59 So, if anyone experiences similar issues with Intel Centrino Advanced-N
60 6205 on Windows 8, try to update the driver first.
63 Thomas