From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Re: Emergency shutdown, how to?
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 00:28:41
1 On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 10:56 +0200, Michael Schmarck wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > > Emergency shutdowns aren't about
5 > > eliminating any problems in the case of a serious system hang, they are
6 > > about minimising such damage.
7 >
8 > Absolutely correct! But Liviu asked, if there's a potential risk
9 > to the system.
10 >
11 > My answer is: Yes, there is! It is pretty low (for the reasons
12 > you mentioned), but it is not 0.
13
14 The risk is not 0, but the risk is not greater than "doing nothing", in
15 fact the risk of an emergency shutdown is less than "doing nothing",
16 given the fact that this is an emergency, and if you do nothing, you
17 will probably have greater problems (file system corruption, etc).
21 I read the newspaper avidly. It is my one form of continuous fiction.
22 -- Aneurin Bevan
25 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list