From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 09:15:50
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Thursday 17 January 2008, Thufir wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:33:32 +0000, Qian Qiao wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> What extra do you archieve if you install your Gentoo from a Gentoo
7 >>> LiveCD instead of a Knoppix CD? None!
8 >>>
9 >>> Stop binding you mind to the concept that "I have to install a
10 >>> Gentoo from a Gentoo CD", it's not true, start looking at a broader
11 >>> perspective.
12 >>>
13 >> I don't think anyone's making that argument. What I'm asking, at
14 >> least, is why Gentoo prides itself on having one of the steepest
15 >> learning curves.
18 > Because it's a source-based distro.
19 >
20 > And that one simple fact changes EVERYTHING.
21 >
22 > Now think this through - you have a source based distro where everything
23 > is built locally. What does it take to boot strap such a system
24 > install? What do you need to provide? What tools must be available? How
25 > will they be made available? Then the killer question:
26 >
27 > What does the user need to know to be able to do this?
28 >
29 > Doesn't matter how you spin it, we don't have a binary distro and what
30 > works there probably doesn't work here. We have to use techniques that
31 > actually work here, and catering for every possible user type, a la
32 > Mandriva, is simply not going to work.
35 Well said. Gentoo is nothing like Mandriva, Mandrake or whatever it is
36 called now. I switched from Mandrake and while Gentoo does have a
37 learning curve, my only other option to have the control I wanted was
38 Linux from Scratch. That was a bit much for me, no tarball to at least
39 start out with.
40
41 I still like having the CD around tho. ;-)
42
43 Dale
44
45 :-)