From: Kai Peter <kp@×××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: FYI: Daily / weekly / monthly cron jobs run twice on DST - non-DST transition
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2017 16:57:09
3 > There are other schedulers out there that succeed where cron fails (eg
4
5 > Control-M, chronos, quartz), but those are all large, bulky, designed
6
7 > for big complex installs/requirements and probably not suited for
8
9 > simple
10
11 > things you'd deploy out of a base in portage
15 Long time ago I decided to use fcron only. The reasons doesn't matter,
16
17 but thus I can talk about fcron only. But you are right, there are a lot
18
19 of others. At least I tried to answer Ian's question as exact as
20
21 possible. I realized the inaccuracy in it too. Wasn't it to me? Than
22
23 sorry for the noise.
27 > cron is stupid and deliberately so. We really ought to let it remain
28
29 > stupid
33 >> The decision what have to be done MUST be made by the user/sysadmin
34
35 >> first. Than you can do the config to reach your goal. But that does go
36
37 >> to far now.
41 > +1 agreed.
45 > I've always maintained that cron cannot possibly know what the scripts
46
47 > it launches deem to be correct. It's a countdown time and launcher, not
48
49 > an orchestrator. It can figure out what to do if 2am happens twice
50
51 > (just
52
53 > don't do it the second time), but not what should happen if 2am was
54
55 > missed for any reason, including DST or poweroff or overeager ntpdate
59 > The simplest approach to fixing missed jobs is to have the script
60
61 > itself
62
63 > track what is correct. If it's lock and records files indicate
64
65 > something
66
67 > didn't happen when it should, the script can do it's own repair or do
68
69 > it's work twice. Or whatever else is appropriate.
73 @Alan, I like your writings. Unfortunately I'm not able to do so, thus
74
75 my (very seldom) answers are sometimes to short. ;-)
79 OT: Seems that since the last update of my MUA the formatting of my
80
81 mails is broken - at least at reply's. There are extra line breaks.
82
83 Grrrr - if you not do everything by yourself ... ;-)
89 Sent with eQmail-1.10