From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev + /usr
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 22:46:05
1 On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 6:26 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> On Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:16:03 PM Joost Roeleveld wrote:
4 >>> On Thursday, September 15, 2011 04:42:23 PM Mike Edenfield wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> > I would estimate that the vast, vast, vast majority of users are those
7 >>> > such as myslelf, who have no opinion whatsoever, and either will not be
8 >>> > affected at all by these changes (because they don't separate / and
9 >>> > /usr), or will simply apply the proposed initramfs solution and move
10 >>> > on.
11 >>>
12 >>> You also don't have /var (or /var/log) seperated? Or any of the other parts
13 >>> of the filesystem that might be required by udev-rules?
14 >>
15 >> Speaking solely for myself, no. Years ago I routinely split /, /usr, and /var
16 >> when setting up my FreeBSD systems, and found that it only ever caused
17 >> problems when I could not get /usr or /var mounted when I needed them.
18 >>
19 >> At least since I switched to Gentoo, I've simply set up one partition with
20 >> everything on it, and kept regular backups in case of failure.
21 >>
22 >> I clearly recognize that there are valid reasons to split your partitions, I
23 >> have just never found any of them applicable to my situations.
24 >>
25 >> --Mike
26 >
27 > My first response to this 300+ post thread, and only to say that in
28 > something like 15 years of playing with & using Linux I've never split
29 > /usr & no longer split /var. I also don't use LVM or anything fancy
30 > like that. I just keep backups and use them if there's a failure. Life
31 > is pretty simple.
32 >
33 > My suspicion is that by far most casual desktop users of Linux, Gentoo
34 > based or not, run pretty much this way and will be unaffected by this
35 > whole change and as such have no reason to post.
36
37 Ubuntu recommends /, /home and swap [1]. Fedora recommends /, /boot
38 and swap [2]. OpenSUSE has several sets, but the "simple" and "dual
39 booting" recommends /, /boot, /home and swap [3]. Debian says [4]:
40
41 "For new users, personal Debian boxes, home systems, and other
42 single-user setups, a single / partition (plus swap) is probably the
43 easiest, simplest way to go. However, this might not be such a good
44 idea when you have lots of disk capacity, e.g., 20GB or so. Ext2
45 partitions tend to perform poorly on file system integrity checking
46 when they are larger than 6GB or so.
47
48 For multi-user systems or systems with lots of disk, it's best to put
49 /usr, /var, /tmp, and /home each on their own partitions separate from
50 the / partition."
51
52 Interestingly, the Gentoo handbook [5] recommends /, /boot and swap.
53 Damn, I haven't installed Gentoo in a long time, I hadn't looked at
54 the handbook in years.
55
56 Anyway, Debian is the only "big" distro recommending separated /usr,
57 and then only for multiuser setups. It's really years since I've
58 looked at the recommended partition schemes: when I started using
59 Linux, a separated /home was almost a must. And we had tiny hard
60 drives then. Now get out of my lawn.
61
62 Regards.
63