From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] hdparm and write caching
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 08:37:48
1 On Monday 28 March 2011 09:11:51 Coert Waagmeester wrote:
2 > Hello all,
3 >
4 > Running a box with 2x1TB software raid disks.
5 > A while back I read up about disk write caching and it's pros/cons.
6 >
7 > I then decided to disable it on my box.
8 > Edited /etc/conf.d/hdparm and added -W0 for sata_all_args.
9 > And added it to the default runlevel.
10 >
11 > It works, on bootup it turns off write caching.
12 > But a while later when KDE is up and running and I check with hdparm -W
13 > /dev/sd? write caching is on again.
14 >
15 > Now, I have two questions,
16 > How can I find out what turned it back on, and how can I prevent it?
17 >
18 > Is it necessary/prudent to turn it off in the first place?
19 >
20 > At the moment I run a cron job that checks every 10 minutes and turns it
21 > off if it is enabled. But that feels like a somewhat ugly solution...
22
23 Try touch /etc/pm/power.d/harddrive to see if it works. Also read this thread
24 and the bugs mentioned in there:
25
26 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/232788/focus=233098
27 --