From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] git serving portage tree.
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2015 22:08:52
1 On 11/02/2015 04:52 PM, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
2 > I have been playing with using git to sync portage while watching the
3 > conversation on gentoo-dev. Works, and after the initial sync it is
4 > actually faster than rsync and you get changelogs of a sort.
5 >
6 > Is there a guide to set up git as a local server for portage?
9 What do you mean by local server? You want to share the git repo on one
10 of your machines with some other machines of yours?
11
12 If so, the git repo is just a directory, and can be copied around with
13 scp or anything else. But to do it efficiently, git knows how to operate
14 over SSH. So on the client, you can do something like,
15
16 $ git clone my-server.example.com:/path/to/repo.git
17
18 Enter the SSH password for your account on my-server.example.com, and
19 git will clone the whole repo. Later on, running `git pull` on the
20 client (from within the repo.git directory) will sync it.