From: Robert Bridge <robert@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] more tripleE SSD fs controversy
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 14:18:21
1 Maxim Wexler wrote:
2 > Hi group,
3 >
4 > More and more I'm coming across references to "cheap" ssds in the EEEs.
5 >
6 > http://www.hohndel.org/communitymatters/eeepc/best-filesystem-choice-for-the-eeepc/
7 >
8 > recommends ext2. Which I found surprising, but the guy seems knowlegeable.
9 >
10 > Here is Theodore T'so:
11 >
12 > # mke2fs -t ext4 -E stripe-width=32,resize=500G /dev/ssd/root
13 >
14 > In his discussion of formatting the pricy Intel product. He doesn't
15 > say if this would be worthwhile for the "cheap" type.
16 >
17 > hohndel doesn't specify any options, just says, use ext2. What does
18 > the group recommend?
19 >
20 > Maxim
23 Theodore T'so is playing with Intel SSDs if I recall correctly, which
24 are in a totally different class to what you get in EEEs, like they cost
25 about the same as the EEE does. His recommendations are based on a SSD
26 with good built in wear leveling, and fast read/write performance.
27
28 ext2 is normally recommended for "cheap" SSDs such as are in the EEE
29 because it is a non-journalled FS, which is kind of important when your
30 disk has severely limited write life.
31
32 At least, that is my understanding of the situation
33 RobbieAB