From: Bob Young <RKY@×××××.Net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] How Bad Is This...?
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 07:45:46
1 -----Original Message-----
2 From: Volker Armin Hemmann [mailto:volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de]
3 Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 8:22 AM
4 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 Cc: Bob Young
6 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How Bad Is This...?
7
8 >On Mittwoch, 16. April 2008, Bob Young wrote:
9 >> I'm in the process of installing a new box, last night before going to
10 >> bed I started installing xorg server. This morning, I found the 82nd
11 >> build(out of 162) had failed with the following error:
14 [snip]
15
16 >the best alternative is to check what went wrong, but since Seagates are
17 >known to die in the first couple of days - or almost never, this gentleman
18 >here would bet on a defective harddisk.
19 >
20 >Btw, you might want to read up on 'bathtub curve'. Stuff breaks early, or
21 >late.
22
23 Just wanted to let you know, it appears you were right, it was the HD itself
24 that was bad. I substituted in the other brand new Seagate, and reinstalled.
25
26 Luckily I was able to read all config files from the semi-bad drive. At this
27 point I'm finished installing xorg-server, and have begun installing KDE.
28
29 P.S. Next time I'll post the output of dmesg...<g>
30
31 Thanks for responding
32 Bob Young
33 San Jose, CA.