From: Amit Dor-Shifer <amitds@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OS inaccessable after brief uptime in X
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 06:30:03
1 my 2-cents: Might want to check filesystem integrity too (e.g: fsck,
2 xfs_check).
3 Amit
4
5 Alan McKinnon wrote:
6 > On Saturday 28 November 2009 22:53:52 Harry Putnam wrote:
7 >
8 >> I keep having a problem where the OS becomes inaccessable after
9 >> running in X for a while. I haven't noticed a time pattern yet but it
10 >> doesn't take long sometimes.
11 >>
12 >> Today I started from an OFF machine, booted up, started X did a few
13 >> things A few minutes later I attempted to login via ssh from a remote
14 >> laptop down stairs. The os is inaccessable via ssh, or port 25 (its
15 >> also a mailhup for home lan).
16 >>
17 >> Went back to the actual machine and it is inaccessable from console as
18 >> well.
19 >>
20 >> It's happened repeatedly now for a week or two, but I've been busy with
21 >> other stuff, and if I need it running I've just left it in console
22 >> mode.
23 >>
24 >> The problem apparently does not occur in console mode.
25 >>
26 >> I see no problem when starting X and I see nothing in
27 >> /var/log/messages that gives a clue about what is happening.
28 >>
29 >> I'm running fairly up to date Desktop profile on kernel:
30 >>
31 >> (uname -a)
32 >> Linux reader 2.6.31-gentoo-r4_rdr-5 #6 SMP
33 >> Wed Nov 4 09:19:17 CST 2009 i686 Intel(R) Celeron(R)
34 >> CPU 3.06GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
35 >>
36 >> I'm not sure how to track down the problem since I'm not seeing any
37 >> give away clues in /var/log/messages
38 >>
39 >> So far, once the lockup has happened it appears there is no way in
40 >> other than the reboot switch.
43 > Looks like you need more info for a diagnosis. Unfortunately this is a hit and
44 > miss game as we don't have much clue what's going on. The lack of anything
45 > valuable in /var/log/messages seems to indicate that either a) no syslog
46 > messages were generated (common with client apps) or b) there is a message but
47 > the system locks up before it can be flushed to disk.
48 >
49 > Some ideas:
50 >
51 > Set up an ssh session to the offending machine from a different machine that
52 > is permanently on. Wait for the problem to occur and see if anything got
53 > printed on the ssh console.
54 >
55 > Set up a syslogger on a remote machine and send all your logs to it. If that
56 > produces nothing, try having the local syslogger replicate ~/.xsession-errors
57 > to the remote logger. I often find that remote logging manages to keep working
58 > after the local disk has given up.
59 >
60 > Obviously, these are long range diagnosis techniques and you have to be
61 > patient. "emerge -e world" will take around 24 hours and may well fix your
62 > problem, but not tell you what the cause was.