From: "Steve [Gentoo]" <gentoo_steve@×××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] About a proxy-like idea... (was Shell through the web)
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:22:10
1 Dave Nebinger wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 11 October 2005 07:37 am, Steve [Gentoo] wrote:
3 >
4 >> I'm also vaguely hopeful that there may
5 >> be a more efficient lower-level solution which wouldn't require the
6 >> overhead of a process to 'pass-on' the tcp data... maybe integrated with
7 >> ipchains or pf or similar?
8 >>
9 > If you choose to roll your own solution, that would be difficult. Youve
10 > already accepted the connection, so the firewall is now configured to allow
11 > the packets back and forth only when related to your connection.
12 >
13 I realise that the idea would necessarily be substantially more
14 challenging than just writing a proxy... but I'm sure it is possible.
15 I'm guessing I'd need to interact at the IP packet level, recognise the
16 start of a TCP stream (buffering packets as necessary) then re-play them
17 to the right port and force the packet filter to re-direct that TCP
18 stream. It would not be worth my time to try and make this work if it
19 isn't already available for me to just compile and use.
20 > Technically the proxy development is not difficult, but for newbies it can be
21 > frustrating working out the nuances of processing asynchronous data arriving
22 > on one pipe let alone two.
23 >
24 I'm confident that I could write a proxy that would do this... as you
25 suggest - it's not rocket science. Conversely, I'm lazy enough to just
26 use one that's already written if one exists... which, I'm guessing, is
27 likely as I doubt I'm the first person to tackle this.
28
29 Steve
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list