From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Demise of Truecrypt - surprised I haven't seen t his discussed here yet?
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2014 17:14:37
1 Am 02.06.2014 13:28, schrieb Rich Freeman:
2 > On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 6:56 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> On Mon, 02 Jun 2014 05:27:44 -0500, Dale wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> The second option does sound what I am looking for. Basically, if I log
6 >>> out but leave my computer on, leave home, some crook/NSA type breaks in
7 >>> and tries to access something or steals my whole puter, they would just
8 >>> get garbage for data. That seems to fit the second option best.
9 >> If they steal your computer they will have to power it off, unless you
10 >> are kind enough to leave them a large enough UPS to steal along with it,
11 >> so any encryption will be equally effective.
12 > If you're worried about casual thieves then just about any kind of
13 > properly-implemented encryption will stop them.
14 >
15 > If you're worried about a government official specifically tasked with
16 > retrieving your computer, my understanding is that it is SOP these
17 > days to retrieve your computer without powering it off for just this
18 > reason. They won't use your UPS to do it. Typically they remove the
19 > plug just far enough to expose the prongs, slide in a connector that
20 > connects it to a UPS, and then they pull it out the rest of the way
21 > now powered by the UPS.
22 >
23 > See something like:
24 > http://www.cru-inc.com/products/wiebetech/hotplug_field_kit/
25 only works with sockets of unsafe design - aka american stuff.
26
27 Can not be used with Schuko sockets.