From: Teresa and Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Does USB devices share bandwidth?
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 21:45:16
1 Richard Fish wrote:
2
3 > On 6/22/06, ÕÅí|Îä <zhangweiwu@××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> The two USB slots provided by the USB card are both OHCI (some USB 1.x
6 >> stuff, not USB 2.0). So far it seems one single printer uses up all the
7 >> USB bandwidth (sometimes printer stop there several seconds wait for
8 >> signal).
11 > Are you *sure* this is due to USB bandwidth? Many printers have to do
12 > internal processing of the document before they start printing, and
13 > depending upon the complexity of the document, I've seen printers take
14 > several seconds to several minutes to print each page. Simple text
15 > documents are usually fast, but complex graphics can take a long time.
16 >
17 > You might be better off upgrading to a single workgroup-class
18 > network-enabled printer.
19 >
20 > -Richard
23 I too have noticed mine being really slow when doing pictures or some
24 complex graphics. Many people think printers are dumb but they still do
25 a lot of processing. If the printer is old, you may want to see if you
26 can upgrade the memory in it or just get you a newer printer. I have
27 seen increasing the memory help a lot but it still depends on what you
28 are doing and the speed of the processor.
29
30 Is there a tool to monitor the use of USB ports? Maybe then he can see
31 if it is the printer or the network. Maybe he already has done this and
32 I missed it.
33
34 Dale
36 --