From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cflags for atom
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 16:40:38
1 On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 06:09:58PM +0200, Silvio Siefke wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > On Mon, 21 Oct 2013 17:15:30 +0200 Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
5 > wrote:
6 >
7 > > Do they have different amounts of RAM installed? My netbook ran OK
8 > > with 1 GB, but was very limited, especially once Firefox was loaded.
9 > > 2 GB should be the minimum if you use a big desktop.
10 >
11 > No its only 1 GB. I use XFCE4 and never has use more as 800 MB so what
12 > i see with htop.
13
14 Well, with XFCE it should be enough, though having a lot of free RAM
15 means more capacity for the filesystem cache to speed up reads. But the
16 way you decribe the sluggishness, it must be more than read times.
17
18 Hm... you could compare CPU performance... simple examples are the 7zip
19 benchmark (`7z b`) or of course compiling a bigger package like gcc.
20
21 > > What about HDD throughput? (test it with hdparm -t /dev/sda)
22 >
23 > [18:05:44][ Akku: 29% ][root@gentoomobile:~]# hdparm -t /dev/sda
24 > /dev/sda:
25 > Timing buffered disk reads: 242 MB in 3.02 seconds = 80.25 MB/sec
26
27 That looks normal, my Pro laptop from 6 years ago reaches around 75 MB/s,
28 as does my netbook (Atom N450).
29 --
30 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
31 Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.
32
33 Please notify me if you did not receive this message.