From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT:Choosing a filesystem
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 12:13:10
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> [10-04-02 14:08]:
2 > On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 13:04:53 +0200, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 >
4 > > only to be sure to have understood everything correctly:
5 > > Suggestion is to create for example one root partition and a swap
6 > > partion. And I will create on big "rest of the disk"-partition.
7 > > The last one will be subdivided with LVM into portions as needed.
8 >
9 > Yes.
10 >
11 > > Since the last big partition is big due to physical reasons (not for
12 > > logical one): What will happen, if -- for example -- one portion will
13 > > be not unmounted cleanly and while booting/checking fails to recover?
14 > > Are all others damaged/lost?
15 >
16 > No, because the failure you describe is at the filesystem level. Even the
17 > volume containing that filesystem will retain integrity, only the
18 > filesystem itself will be corrupted. As you have left free space on the
19 > volume group, you can just create a new volume, format it and copy over
20 > everything you can recover from the broken filesystem before deleting it.
23 Hi Neil,
24
25 yes, sounds good, very good.
26 Last question: How heavy is the performance impact of such a setup ?
33 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
34 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
35 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
36 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.