From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Bash completion problem: can anyone confirm?
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 14:33:32
1 On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 3:23 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Sunday 04 January 2009, Graham Murray wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU> writes:
7 >>>>
8 >>>> Before I file a bug, I want to see if this is reproducible by others:
9 >>>>
10 >>>> After I boot into the console, if I type anything and then hit <tab>
11 >>>> for the bash completion, it gives an error
12 >>>> -bash: _filedir: command not found
13 >>>> The weird thing is that if I start X and try the same in an aterm, the
14 >>>> tab completion works as expected.
15 >>>>
16 >>>> I am currently on bash-completion-20081218, does anyone else have the
17 >>>> same problem?
18 >>>
19 >>> I only saw the problem with vim, and then only for user root as a normal
20 >>> user it worked fine. So I disabled bash completion for vim.
21 >>
22 >> Check your relevant ~/.bashrc for this:
23 >>
24 >> ##uncomment the following to activate bash-completion:
25 >> #[ -f /etc/profile.d/bash-completion ] && \ source
26 >> /etc/profile.d/bash-completion
27 >
28 > There's not such entry in my .bashrc.
29
30 Since the problem does not appear under X, bash is not broken and you
31 probably have a mis-configuration somehow. The rc scripts that are
32 run are sensitive to the nature of the
33 session. Your console login is a "interactive login shell", while
34 under X it's merely a
35 "interactive shell". You might want to track down the scripts that
36 run in the two situations.
37 My first guess would be that your ~/.bashrc sets up completion, but
38 that file is not called
39 from /etc/profile. If that's not it you have some debugging to do.
40
41 When I have to do something like that, I pepper all of the rc scripts
42 with lines like
43 [ -e /etc/conf.d/DEBUG ] && echo "~$USER/.bashrc: \$-='$-'"\
44 (modify according to what info you want and what script it's in) then
45 touch or rm the file
46 /etc/conf.d/DEBUG.
47
48 Don't forget to include system scripts like /etc/profile and anything
49 else mentioned in
50 the man page (INVOCATION section).
51
52 HTH