From: Fredric Johansson <fredric.miscmail@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Upgrading gcc: both 4.4 and 4.5 needed?
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 15:40:06
1 On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Nov 16, 2011 2:26 PM, "Michael Mol" <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 2:11 AM, Stéphane Guedon <stephane@××××××××××.eu>
6 >> wrote:
7 >> > On Wednesday 16 November 2011 02:07:12 Pandu Poluan wrote:
8 >> >> And if you're adventurous, add USE "graphite", reemerge gcc, and
9 >> >> reemerge
10 >> >> world :)
11 >> >
12 >> > what does "graphite" add ?
13 >>
14 >> Thanks for reminding me; I meant to look it up when I got home.
15 >>
16 >> shortcircuit:1@serenity~
17 >> Wed Nov 16 02:16 AM
18 >> !501 #1 j0 ?0 $ euse -i graphite
19 >> global use flags (searching: graphite)
20 >> ************************************************************
21 >> no matching entries found
22 >>
23 >> local use flags (searching: graphite)
24 >> ************************************************************
25 >>
26 >> [snip]
27 >>
28 >> [-      ] graphite
29 >>    sys-devel/gcc: Add support for the framework for loop optimizations
30 >>    based on a polyhedral intermediate representation
31 >>
32 >> So, a new, experimental optimization model and framework inside your
33 >> compiler. If it's specifically for optimizing on loops, I'll venture a
34 >> guess it's going to be mostly effective for graphics libraries and
35 >> apps. I've got some slightly riskier educated guesses on how it works
36 >> and what some numeric side effects and consequences might be, but they
37 >> scare me, so I think I'll leave it to someone who actually knows more
38 >> about it...
41 > I've been using USE "graphite" since gcc-4.5.3-r1 appeared. Upstream says
42 > that graphite is stable, feature-complete, and production-ready since 4.5.3.
43 >
44 > To fully taste the effect of graphite, I even went the torturous route of
45 > emerging gcc + libtool + binutils (in that order) twice, followed by a
46 > wholesale-rebuild of everything (emerge --emptytree), then tarballed the
47 > result to my own "stage3.1" tarball to spare me the *huge* amount of time
48 > required.
49 >
50 > I've deployed 3 systems with USE "graphite", and they *felt* snappier.
51 > emerge's *felt* slower, though. (no objective tests, I know).
52 >
53 > I use Gentoo as a gatewall, and there I did a wholesale-rebuild one more
54 > time, this time specifying CFLAGS "-march=native"... and I just couldn't be
55 > happier with the resulting performance :-)
56 >
57 > Rgds,
60 I might be wrong but don't you need to have the gcc's options for
61 graphite enabled to actually make use of the graphite framework? (You
62 might be using them but you haven't mentioned it.)
63
64 //Fredric
65
66 //Fredric