From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rc-update add hald default or boot?
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 01:43:49
1 On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Hi,
5 >>   I've wondered for a while whether the design intention of hald was
6 >> to be run at boot time or as a default level process? Googling for
7 >
8 > It's intended that you'll be running it at the default level.  Hal requires
9 > D-BUS, which means it needs to be run at the earliest after your local
10 > mounts, clock, etc. are started.  If you put them both into the boot
11 > runlevel I don't see why it would necessarily hurt, but it doesn't need to
12 > be there to work properly.
13 >
14 > --Mike
18 Thanks for the responses guys. I've always had it at default also. I
19 was just wondering.
20
21 Now, does hald need dbus? Require dbus? Interesting. I have dbus
22 installed but it's not running because it caused the Jack sound server
23 problems. Not even sure what it does or why I should need it but it
24 caused more problems for me and I couldn't tell what it helped with.
25
26 When should dbus be started if I run it? As a boot level process or
27 default also?
28
29 Thanks,
30 Mark