From: Andrew Udvare <audvare@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What's with KDE?
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2018 05:37:09
1 > On 2018-11-03, at 00:43, Alan Grimes <alonzotg@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > I have not seen KDE add a single feature or even fix a single bug (while
4 > letting new bugs pile up) in FIVE YEARS. They version bump their entire
5 > suite for no reason every five minutes but nothing gets even slightly
6 > better. KDE has'nt been worth anything since the QT4 cataclysm, 3.59 was
7 > pretty darn good. =\ Kdevelop3 only needed to be restarted once a
8 > week... You could binge program with it for an ENTIRE WEEK without
9 > restarting it... It had some wonderful class inheratance heirarchy
10 > graphing tools so that you could learn codebases nice and quick and go
11 > in and refactor them.
12
13 There are a lot of new features in KDE but you may not be aware of them or you do not care for them. But a lot of KDE 4's changes was to upgrade to KDE 4 without inheriting the code issues of Qt 3/KDE 3.5 code (KF5 continues this with Qt 5). Also with KF5 they are splitting up the code base so that it can be used in a more modular form. Prior to KF5, using KDE code in other projects was almost impossible without being dependent on the very large kdelibs library (which is an issue on other platforms as well where loading that many libraries at launch time takes a while).
14
15 My main criticism of KDE 4 and onward is the introduction of Akonadi. I've never had much success with it especially with KMail.
16
17 > How did they make it so that 40% of ordinary zip files I try to open
18 > with konqueror fail CRC (but work perfectly from the command line)....
19 >
20 > It used to have nice large icon mode with previews, and nice small-icons
21 > in normal mode... Broken too for many months now. =\
22
23 You have to give up on Konqueror as a file manager. It just doesn't get much support for that anymore. I've abandoned Konqueror completely as it's far behind as a web browser compared to Firefox/Chrome.
24
25 Dolphinpart which runs within Konqueror to make it a file manager is almost the same as Dolphin. Although there are things that annoy me in Dolphin, it gets more maintenance and a bug report is much more likely to be addressed.
28 > Akregator crashes all the time if I simply try to close a tab... It went
29 > about three years without saving anything to disk when it's supposed to
30 > buffer my RSS feeds. Now it's just crashtastic in the extreme...
31
32 Even Google completely dropped their RSS reader. I have my doubts that this app gets a lot of maintenance.
33 >
34 > Microsoft must be paying Good Money (tm) to the FS developers to keep
35 > breaking stuff at this rate. =|
36
37 Trouble is afoot! Given the track record of late (like owning GitHub) I don't think so.
40 Andrew Udvare