From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Linux (Ubuntu) on a USB drive doesn't save
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 19:50:34
1 On Tuesday 22 May 2007 08:13, Iain Buchanan wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 23:44 -0700, Daevid Vincent wrote:
3 > [snip]
4 >
5 > > I followed this guide:
6 > > http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/02/12/usb-ubuntu-tutorial-for-linux-us
7 > > ers/#more-117
8 > >
9 > > And used Ubuntu 7.04. It worked great. I can boot and get online and all
10 > > sorts of things.
11 > >
12 > > However, nothing "saves" !!!?
13 >
14 > I'm not qualified to answer this question because I've never used
15 > Ubuntu; I've never booted from a usb key; and I'm on the gentoo-user
16 > ml ;) buuut maybe the usb key boot idea works like a live-cd and loads
17 > your filesystem into a RAM disk? In which case, changed you made
18 > wouldn't actually be saved... you could add another partition to the
19 > key for "persistent" storage perhaps?
20
21 Most of Iain's caveats apply here too, but judging from Knoppix you need to
22 pass some boot options to the kernel to let it know where your config files
23 are saved . . . assuming of course that Ubuntu on a LiveCD/USB has this level
24 of sophistication.
25
26 Hope this helps.
27 --