From: frank <sdoma@××××××××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] How to become root on 2006.0
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 20:04:32
1 Hi,
2
3 My problem:
4 I try to reinstall Gentoo over an existing Gentoo installation. My
5 provider has changed to DHCP, so I have no inet connection from the old
6 system (there was no reason to install something DHCP related).
7 There is a lot of data on the disk (1 big partition plus swap and boot)
8 cca 3 GB in my home, cca 2 GB in oracle's home and cca 4 GB in the home
9 of a user ``tester``.
10 My old system is experimental, I planned to change to stable for a long
11 time already.
12 I do not have a DVD burner.
13
14 How do I want to solve it:
15 Start the live-CD, mount the old root partition and delete everything
16 except /home and /opt.
17 Install the new system without repartitioning it and without formatting
18 the partitions (I'm happy with these I have ;).
19
20 Is there a way to do this with 2006.0? There was a way with older Gentoo
21 versions, with Slack, with LFS ...
22
23 Excuse me that I don't search the forums. I'm connected now using the
24 live-CD.
25
26 BTW: I have inet connection after booting from the live-cd. This is gone
27 away after starting an as-if-install.
28
29 Thanks for any help
30 Frank
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list