From: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: More about: Re: [gentoo-user] xorg & nvidia (again) ;-(
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 12:15:03
1 I am thorougly confused: things must be moving very quickly with xorg
2 7. I hope my jumping in here will not further confuse the issue. I
3 have found various descriptions of the roots of the problem, and
4 various solutions involving masking different combinations of
5 packages. I had decided to drop back to "xf86-video-nv.
6
7 Neil, you have masked
8 >=f86-video-nv-1.1.2
9
10 Wow.
11
12 I have been having another problem that I'm uncertain would belong in
13 this thread: I got rid of nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx altogether,
14 much to my regret because they are faster. Now when I emerge -uDv
15 world, the system wants to pull these in again. I have traced the
16 problem, unbelievably, to xine-libs: my ebuild required some USE flag,
17 I think.
18 In /usr/portage/media-libs/xine-lib/xine-lib-1.1.2_pre20060606-r3.ebuild
19 I find:
20 IUSE_VIDEO_CARDS="video_cards_nvidia video_cards_via video_cards_i810"
21
22 Thus I have two more questions:
23
24 1. Is this the ebuild that is pulling nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx
25 back in? (I already unmerged nvidia-settings).
26
27 2. Is it even possible to run nvidia-kernel? Is the "nv" driver
28 all that bad, or is it possible to get it to work decently with
29 opengl? Is it possible to work with new nv drivers?
30
31 Also, there is the parameter in /etc/make.conf:
32 VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"
33 Should this be dealt with? I did this when following a howto about
34 migrating to modular xorg.
35
36 I apologize for crashing this thread, especially if somehow I have
37 misunderstood.
38
39 Alan Davis
40