From: victor romanchuk <rom@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hoping someone can help explain distcc to me
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 14:41:30
2 >> i had noticed that distcc is peevish about CFLAGS: these should be
3 >> compatible on both client and server. in my case i made these similar on
4 >> both machines (laptop is core2duo and desktop is core2quad; both are
5 >> running amd64 arch)
6 > I don't think this is true - as long as the CHOST is identical, there should
7 > be no problem.
8
9 CHOST defines the arch (i686, amd64, arm ..) whilst CFLAGS control gcc behavior
10 and the binary code generation produced by compiler. in my case core2quad
11 (q8300) i'm using in the desktop supports sse4.1 instruction set and notebook
12 powered with core2duo (t7600) does not have that cpu feature. having option
13 `-msse4.1' set in CFLAGS at desktop side will causes frequent compilation
14 failures (initiated by distcc) or, in worst case - arbitrary crashes at notebook
15 when running binaries compiled in distributed distcc environment
16
17 >> yet another way to install packages on weak notebook running it on the
18 >> same arch as desktop runs, - is to create binaries at powerful machine
19 >> (while emerging or with quickpkg utility) and share $PKGDIR with laptop
20 > This means some extra work, and also use flags need to be compatible, but
21 > the speedup would be much bigger than with just distcc.
22 >
23 > What about exporting the whole root file system and mounting it on the fast
24 > desktop, chrooting and emerging?
27 i do not insist the distcc is the only or most efficient way to maintain gentoo
28 installation on a slow machine (having something more powerful nearby). just
29 tried to explain how does distcc work
30
31 victor