From: Richard Watson <waty@×××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] cannot login after emerge --update --deep --newuse world crashed
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 08:43:06
1 Hi all - I was running emerge --update --deep --newuse world over the
2 weekend when I had a power outage and my computer crashed. For some reason
3 ever since then I cannot login. If I enter Root at the login prompt the
4 computer thinks about it and then just returns to the login prompt.
5 Obviously something has gone wrong with my authentication and I'm just
6 wondering whether anyone can give me guidance on how to fix this.
7
8 I was able to boot from the Gentoo Stage 1 Livecd and chroot into my system
9 but resetting the password with passwd didn't work. I suspect I need to
10 emerge the relevant modules again but don't know which ones.
11
12 Any help would be really appreciated, thanks. Richard
17 No virus found in this outgoing message.
18 Checked by AVG Free Edition.
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list