From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Intel Atom: architecture, distcc, crossdev and compile flags
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 08:33:56
1 On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 06:36:47PM +0100, Frank Steinmetzger wrote
2
3 > * I???m interested in the question of -O2 vs. -Os.
4 > Some sources say -Os is bad, b/c it breaks debugging and is mainly
5 > untested. I won???t do heavy developing on it anyway, and Atoms do
6 > have a puny cache. So I wonder whether -Os would improve execution
7 > time and RAM usage noticably. Diskspace itself is not an issue.
8
9 I do builds on the netbook. My generic make.conf CFLAGS line is...
10
11 CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables"
12
13 ...on my machines. "-fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables"
14 reverses a "new and improved feature" of GCC that bloats the busybox
15 binary (and presumably other binaries) 15% to 20%. See the short thread
16 http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2012-September/078326.html
17 for background. The busybox developers obviously want to reduce every
18 bit of disk and/or ram usage, because busybox is used in a lot of ram
19 and disk constrained embedded systems.
20
21 I don't know if it's possible to easily add another gig of ram. It
22 would certainly help. I have an ancient netbook. It has 2 gigs of ram,
23 but is restricted to 32-bit only.
24
25 BTW, does the netbook jave a Poulsbo GPU? There are some hints at the
26 Arch wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Poulsbo for getting it to
27 work better. I can get HD Youtube videos to play in the "large player",
28 but my machine has 2 gigs of ram. If it's a relatively new Gentoo install,
29 I recommend...
30
31 emerge system && emerge world
32
33 ...to get the most optimization. Also, build the "ondemand" cpu
34 governor and enable it (emerge cpufrequtils). This will enable the
35 higher CPU speeds. I think my machine was originally stuck at its
36 lowest CPU frequency due to the "powersave" governor, even with the
37 machine plugged into the wall for power.
40 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
41 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications