From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cleaning redundant configuration files
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 18:01:24
1 David W Noon wrote:
2 > On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 01:00:02 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote about
3 > Re: [gentoo-user] Cleaning redundant configuration files:
6 >> There is a simple rule in computing:
7 >>
8 >> NEVER remove user created data
9 >>
10 > That is utter rubbish. Obsolete data can be dangerous, so once it's
11 > genuinely obsolete it should be gone.
12 >
13 > If that were true, why would it even be possible to delete data?
16 >> that also applies to config files.
17 >>
18 > And obsolete configuration files are even more likely to be dangerous
19 > than general data.
22 I think the rubbish is in your post. IF, big IF for a reason, the
23 config file is obsolete, the user should know that and can delete it
24 themselves. Also, if a package is updated and it is such a huge update,
25 the config tool is going to let the user know about the changes. Let's
26 see, openrc comes to mind on this one since it was recently done. Some
27 config files were moved, done away with and justs plain old changed. In
28 that case, portage told us what files could be deleted, what had to be
29 changed and such. .
30
31 I hope you realize that if the devs were to decide to do this that they
32 would also listen to the users. You seem to be the only one that wants
33 config files deleted by default. The devs are most likely to see it the
34 same as we do because they have a clear understanding of what Gentoo is
35 all about. In case you need a reminder, the person responsible for
36 administering their system sits in the chair. Portage just helps the
37 person in the chair. As far as I know, portage has never deleted user
38 data. Anything that is changed by the user becomes user data and the
39 user owns it from then on. As some already know, I been using Gentoo
40 since about 2003. It's not like I am new here. I don't recall portage
41 ever deleting a users data, ever.
42
43 I like the idea of having the option to remove config files but NOT by
44 default as you seem to suggest. If you take this to the devs to have
45 this added to portage's feature set, I would put in my $0.02 worth. I
46 would expect that they would have much more than $0.02 worth to add to
47 the idea. I feel requesting it as a default behavior would be the death
48 of the whole idea. Care to request it and see what happens?
49
50 Dale
51