From: Michael Higgins <linux@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] sanity check: fetchmail exim courier-*
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 17:09:30
1 Hi all —
2
3 First question, where is $MAIL set for the users? It is set now
4 to /var/mail/[user] somehow, or is by default. If so, where is that set?
5 Anyway, I need to change to ~/.maildir. If not set to change, where
6 should I set it?
7
8 The situation (needing a reality check) is we have an ISP that gives
9 small mailboxes. We need to empty them. I work in many locations and
10 have several of these accounts that can fill quickly.
11
12 I have been leaving mail on the ISP server and using fetchmail to pull
13 to storage in my local user account ~/.maildir whenever I got a 'quota
14 warning'. If I needed any of these emails after the fact, I could open
15 with nail and forward. ('mail' seems to work if I reset $MAIL var as
16 above...)
17
18 Next, I thought to make these available via IMAP, so set up exim and
19 courier. I can't get IMAP to work, not sure why (perhaps Q#1 above
20 is related? Duh...). But at this point I can send email via smtp and
21 receive via pop3. SMTP is limited to within the network the pop3 is
22 working from anywhere. And local delivery works too.
23
24 So, I'll just set up a cron job for my user to run fetchmail on the
25 various accounts so to keep my ISP storage empty and pull the emails
26 via POP3 (until I get IMAP working).
27
28 Anything obviously awry with this kind of setup? Local users can send
29 via inside the net, world users can reply to email originating on the
30 machine. Setting the email address in the mail client to the ISP mail
31 address means failed emails and replies come back to the user... (and
32 SMTP doesn't also reject for failed reverse DNS lookup)... does
33 this seem all good? '-)
34
35 Cheers,
40 | |ichael | |iggins \^ /