From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading to gcc 4.1: emerge -e world required?
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 08:48:31
1 Steven Susbauer wrote:
2 > On Sat, 27 May 2006, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3
4 >> Absolutely. The GWN posting was clearly optimistic :(
5
6 Way too much. On the bug report, it's been announced, that the upgrade doc
7 will be rewritten, so that people are warned.
8
9 > Why would an emerge -e world be required?
10
11 Because of "two version linkage of libstdc++". See the bug. See my posts.
12 See Neil's post.
13
14 > It is not required to rebuild
15 > every package using the new gcc.
16
17 "Re-emerge of world is suggested.". See the bug.
18
19 > They will slowly be rebuilt when they are
20 > upgraded.
21
22 And until that time, you maybe have a half-working system.
23
24 > I have done nothing since upgrading and had not one issue.
25
26 Lucky you.
27
28 Did you re-compile qt 3 and qt 4 since then? How are your KDE programs
29 behaving? Have you recompiled your KDE programs?
30
31 > Why
32 > would I,
33
34 To get a working system.
35
36 > it doesn't even make sense?
37
38 Well.
39
40 > They are binaries, after all.
41
42 They are dynamicly linked, which is the problem here. And as you've seen
43 in the bug report, that's exactly the problem.
44
45 Alexander Skwar
46 --
47 If at first you do succeed, try to hide your astonishment.
48 --
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list