From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Filesystem recommendation for external media storage
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 08:15:51
1 On 27/06/2013 03:33, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 06:40:02PM +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:
3 >
4 >>>> Windows compatibility is not a must, but a nice-to-have. That would reduce my
5 >>>> remaining choices to ExFAT, I presume.
6 >>>
7 >>
8 >> BTW: What's the Linux status on that one?
9 >
10 > Well, the German Wikipedia says that a stable 1.0 came out in January.
11 > It’s “only” a FUSE fs, but so is NTFS. I’ll do some testing with it.
12 >
13 >>> That's how I see it too.
14 >>>
15 >>> I used to use ext4 for external media but quickly found that my notebook
16 >>> was the only box that could use them...
17 >>
18 >> Isn't group id 100 defined as the users group on most Linuxen nowadays?
19 >>
20 >> chgrp 100 $mount && chmod 2777 $mount
21 >
22 > That still leaves UID. I want it to “just work”[TM] and never encounter
23 > any problems when I can least use them, and never have to check any file
24 > attributes.
25 >
26 >> should work reasonably well.
27 >>
28 >> Regards,
29 >> Florian Philipp
30 >
31 > I’ll keep the uid and gid bit on the stack. I would disable the x bit
32 > though. Executables are lime in DIR_COLORS, overriding every other
33 > colouring (e.g. red archive, green text and purple media files). *g*
34 >
35 > I’m more concerned about the behaviour of automounters. And I faintly
36 > remember some user-centric setting as to what the default chmod of new
37 > files is, so I would have to do some chmod -R from time to time.
40 The Unix filesystem model simply does not allow you to do that easily -
41 it is designed to do something else entirely and do that thing well
42
43 You can't even override the uid/gid/perms at mount time. The central
44 premise is that the user must set those values on his own files whenever
45 he wants to and the rest of the universe must fall into line with those
46 wishes...
47
48 Look at what it takes to do something simple like set the default perms
49 on a new file in a shared directory to be 664 - you need to get dirty
50 with POSIX ACLs, and then a simple umask run in a shell session
51 overrules all of that.
52
53 exfat does what you want - it was designed to "just work" on the very
54 large removeable media we have nowadays (think 7G movie files) and
55 bypass all the nonsense like "does the user that created this file even
56 exist on the machine that is reading it?"
57
58 It also works pretty well
62 Alan McKinnon
63 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com