From: James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] help needed to connect wifi on eeeSTOKED!
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 21:09:59
1 On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 1:53 PM, maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > > ifconfig wlan0 up
5 > > >
6 > > > iwlist wlan0 scan reveals the network name, the chan.
7 > > >
8 > > > iwconfig wlan0 essid "Network Name"
9 > > >
10 > > > iwconfig wlan0 chan 1
11 > > >
12 > >
13 > > dhcpcd wlan0 should sort this.
16 > It did, thanks Neil! Now, can you point a way forword? My eeepc is strictly
17 > bare bones, for now, no X, haven't even written make.conf yet.
18 >
19 > There's some interesting stuff re: gentoo on eeepc on the eee forum but
20 > it's rather dated. Can you suggest some sort of wiki or?
24 Hi Maixm-
25
26 I have just (first full boot with X this morning, actually) gotten my wife's
27 eeePC 900A switched over to Gentoo. I have a full install with kernel
28 2.6.29, X (1.6.1), Intel drivers (with DRI2, enabling *very* smooth and fast
29 compositing), full KDE 4.2.3, WiFi and Wired ethernet, Firefox, Openoffice,
30 NetworkManager, and all the usuals, all in a 2.7GB disk footprint, and
31 without doing any compiling on the eeePC itself (I used my Core2Duo ~amd64
32 Gentoo box to do all the heavy lifting, then made a bootable 4GB SD card
33 with the resulting FS - will move over to internal 4GB SSD once I've put the
34 final touches on it). I have full eeePC hotkey support (except for an issue
35 I've found with the rfkill (Wifi radio on/off) functionality - the HW (PHY)
36 refuses to power back up once it's turned off. I believe it was working in
37 the original Xandros, so I'll probably be doing some kernel hacking to get
38 it working). If you would like, I can take some time this weekend and write
39 up how I went about doing it and post it - interested?
40
41 -James