From: tastytea <gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox to LOCalc characterset translation
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 22:04:32
1 On 2022-03-27 22:35+0100 Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I can't explain why the following cut 'n paste problem happens when I
4 > select some symbols within text in Firefox and then try to insert by
5 > middle-click in LibreOffice Calc.
6 >
7 > If I select the symbols for £ (GBP), or € (Euro) and middle click
8 > upon a cell in LOCalc, a window pops up asking "Select the Language
9 > to Use for Import". I leave it to "Automatic" which is the default
10 > setting and the symbol plus any text is pasted with the same format
11 > as the webpage. The symbols are then displayed correctly in LOCalc.
12 >
13 > However, if I enter a cell by double clicking on it, or by clicking
14 > in the edit bar, then middle click to enter the selection, both £ and
15 > € symbols are entered in some strange code - e.g. \u20ac
16
17 I don't know why it is doing that or how to fix it, but the strange code
18 is a unicode code point. You can enter it in many terminal emulators by
19 pressing Control + Shift + u and then 20ac + Enter or display it with
20 echo "\u20ac".
21
22 Kind regards, tastytea