From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Question re: UUID
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 03:38:50
1 On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Monday 21 April 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > > On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 2:22 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 > > > On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 17:41:58 +0200, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
6 > > > > The other possible way would be to give your devices unique names,
7 > > > > either via udev or by using LVM. Advantage over UUIDs: much easier to
8 > > > > read.
9 > > >
10 > > > Or you could use filesystem labels.
11 > >
12 > > I've used filesystem labels for a long time and generally it works
13 > > really well. Only problem I've had is my Dad's machine has a Maxtor
14 > > 1-touch 1394 drive. It seems that often it doesn't get recognized by
15 > > the 1394 subsystem fast enough to satisfy whatever requirements the
16 > > Gentoo scripts have for the label being readable so it doesn't
17 > > reliably get recognized every time.
18 >
19 > I have thought about using labels, but never really ventured into it (I think
20 > I tried it once on a server). Can I do it retrospectively on ext2, reiserfs
21 > and xfs, or is it going to erase the contents of the partition?
22 > --
23 > Regards,
24 > Mick
27 Yep. I use e2label. Works fine with ext2 and ext3 partitions. One
28 command to read the label, another to write it. Easy.
29
30 - Mark
31 --
32 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list