From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is it wrong to install a specific version
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 22:18:09
1 On Sun, 11 January 2015, at 2:26 am, behrouz khosravi <bz.khosravi@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > After that I … installed all of the required qt5 packages from qt-5.4.0 one by one and using the specific version.
4 > After that I did the same with qt-framework packages and so on.
5
6 This is fine, if you use `emerge -1`. That installs the package (thus fulfilling the dependency) without adding to the world file.
7
8 If you specify the package version and emerge without the `--oneshot` flag, then the package version will be added to the world file, and thus the package version will be "pinned", and be a problem during updates.
9
10 > I think that this is generally a bad idea, because the it makes the World set much bigger.
11 > However I am wondering what will happen when the tree updates?
12
13 I would edit your world file with a text editor and remove these packages. They will still remain on your system, and they will still fulfil the Plasma's dependencies.
14
15 Stroller.