From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] make.conf bindist
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2015 17:30:32
1 On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 1:24 PM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I have bindist set in make.conf. I'm not sure why, as it has most likely
4 > been there a while..... I have plent of compiler power...
7 It is part of the stage3 default make.conf, so it isn't surprising
8 that you have it. Most users will probably want to turn it off.
9
10 Bindist removes features as necessary to avoid installing software
11 which isn't redistributable. For example our install CDs and stage3s
12 are built with USE=bindist, since we have to redistribute them.
13 Setting this flag gives firefox the iceweasel treatment and may
14 exclude patent-encumbered code.
15
16 So, set it per your preference. Since the stage3 was built with
17 USE=bindist it sets it by default, and that is the safer preference in
18 any case. License-purists might prefer to leave it this way and that
19 gives you an experience similar to debian main repository, etc.
22 Rich