From: Andrey Falko <ma3oxuct@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sync'ing and compiling pkgs for multiple PCs
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 22:38:37
1 On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Simon <turner25@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > Below I explain my story, I show some difficulties and near the end ask a
4 > few questions, but last paragraph is my main question, comments on the rest
5 > is greatly appreciated.
6 >
7 > I have 3 computers and they are all setup the same with the exception of
8 > the kernel that has different options for the youngest of my pcs. I'm
9 > looking for a simple, easy and efficient way to keep them all up2date.
10 >
11 > I want to avoid 3 --sync to the gentoo servers. I have tried to setup one
12 > of my pc as central server and sync the others on it, but has the main
13 > disadvantage that the other PCs are dependant on it (ok, it's not so
14 > difficult to change make.conf).
15 >
16 > Then, I would have to compile approximately 3 times the same software. My
17 > computers are slow, I am poor, can't buy new hardware (FORGET IT). So I
18 > tried turning on buildpkg and compile on my fastest PC.
19 >
20 > I already use unison to sync my /home directory through ssh, i use it
21 > because it is simple and does exactly what I need out of the box. (Compared
22 > to rsyncd, where you need to setup a server, setup the firewall, what about
23 > security?...).
24 > Anyway, I decided to sync /usr/portage with unison as well, which worked
25 > fine and I had the binpkgs on the other pc. When I did an `emerge -k -uDN
26 > world` I found that many packages still had to be built. I extracted the
27 > list of packages and versions, formated properly and emerged them all on my
28 > fastest pc, ran through the same routine and at the end I had to recompile
29 > just a few packages that I let run (nothing like gcc or glibc, hehe).
30 >
31 > Now, with my "unison technique" I believe the only flaw was that I didn't
32 > have the list of all packages on all my PCs and I wonder if there is a way
33 > to generate such a list, similar to what `emerge -vp -uDN world` gives but
34 > in a format ready for emerge, so I can dump the pkg list for the 3 pc in 3
35 > files and run emerge on those 3 files. I would compile them -1, which, as I
36 > understand it would upgrade my system (upgrade but not change world entries)
37 > and install unneeded packages around. I would then use --depclean which
38 > would remove the unneeded packages cleanly and finally revdep-rebuild. I
39 > would be left with my fastest pc's world up2date + all binpkgs of all 3 pcs.
40 >
41 > The advantage of my "unison technique" is it's transparent to any 3 pc, if
42 > a pkg is not there, it downloads the distfile from the internet and compiles
43 > it, completely independant. Just doing the --sync requires a little bit of
44 > consideration.
45 >
46 > I'm wondering if there is (i'm sure there is) a better practice in the
47 > compilation of binpkgs for use by multiple computers, so that none of the
48 > other computers will compile (quick update for them) and that the compiling
49 > computer can compile all needed pkgs in one run preferably.
50 >
51 > As usual, if you can answer my question directly on the mailing list that'd
52 > be nice, if you could give URLs to some documentation that answers my
53 > question that'd be very nice too!
54 >
55 > Thanks, Simon
59 I don't have time right now to answer all of your questions, but in
60 terms of having all machines have the same list of installed packages,
61 all you probably need is /var/lib/portage/world . This lists all of
62 the packages that you emerged. I.e. those packages not brought in via
63 dependencies. If you have the same USE flags set on all machines, then
64 you should not see the need for new dependencies to be brought in on
65 any of the non-compile machines.