From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Lost /sbin/rc
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 03:11:08
1 Hi there!
2
3 I just did an emerge -uDN on my system, followed by revdep-rebuild and
4 emerge --depclean. When rebooting, my system did not come up because of
5 missing things like /sbin/rc. Argh! Good thing I had a backup, after
6 copying some files back the system was up again, and I could go to bed.
7 Bad idea anyway to do a reboot on a critical machine at 6 AM.
8
9 The missing files belong to sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.10-r5 which I had
10 just installed recently. I had masked it for a while
11 because I want to update such critical packages only when I am home at
12 the server, while most of the time I am far away from it.
13
14 The depclean removed an older baselayout which was also installed, I guess
15 that removed the files. Why did that happen, and why did I have two
16 baselayouts installed in parallel?
17
18 These are the missing files:
19