From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Making sure I am a good netizen and secure.
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 19:05:00
1 Willie Wong <wwong <at> math.princeton.edu> writes:
6 > I built my tables using the commandline. A good quick intro guide is
7 > at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/home-router-howto.xml , section 5.
8
9 Nice ref.
12 > My philosophy is common sense. I white list those ips that I want to
13 > be able to access the services. I black list those I don't. For
14 > services like ssh, I pray that my efforts are secure enough.
15
16 I'm re-visiting much of what I do with IP tables and using a whitelist seems
17 like a very keen idea, particularly on firewalls with limited resources compared
18 to the network bandwidth they are attached to.
21 thanks for sharing your approach,
24 James