From: gibboris@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] start X at startup without a login manager
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 13:01:02
1 I was thinking about the proper way to set-up the autologin some time
2 ago.
3 Some hints which came to my mind :
4 1) should be started as a service so restart/start/stop may be used and
5 doesn't leave an open root shell
6 2) should be restarted with ctrl+alt+backspace without losing the
7 keyboard focus (may be a problem when not using telinit)
8 3) try to avoid the numerous wrappers of login managers in /etc/X11
9 4) should be able to come back to login manager by modifying only one
10 conf.d file (or env.d ?)
11 --- so below is the way I have set it up for the moment :
12 I did a kind of merge of the xdm and startUS.sh (script found on the
13 gentoo forums) so I don't have x11-apps/xdm but I have a xdm init script
14 (which should have another name but it's just a modified version of the
15 original xdm script)
16 [xdm patch attached]
17 To avoid the unresponsive keyboard : I always use telinit so :
18 x:a:once:/etc/X11/startDM.sh
19 is appended in my /etc/inittab.
20
21 In startDM.sh a modification is done to make start-stop-daemon drop its
22 privs and set the minimum env needed by startx then xinit.
23 [startDM.sh patch attached]
24
25 Notice two facts : env X=y start-stop-daemon is used because I was not
26 able to use several --env options.
27 My user's .xinitrc sources its .bash_profile (which source /etc/profile)
28 to initialize the other variables.
29 (I would like to export the bash completion to my whole X session, but it's
30 another problem...)
31
32 An alternative is the make start-stop-daemon launch 'su -- -l'
33 but it's dirty because of the need to store the pid.
34
35 So the first problem is that the xdm script doesn't know the pid of xinit
36 because even without 'su', start-stop-daemon knows about startx, not
37 xinit.
38 The second one is that ctrl+alt+backspace isn't trapped correctly.
39 Should 'xinit restart' be the direct work of the daemon in the autologin
40 case ?
41 In the autologin case which imho implies the user has a .xinitrc, startx
42 is only useful for the 2 or 3 lines around mcookie.
43 Should startx be directly in /etc/init.d .
44 (as said in the header it's a old sample of this script) and the deep
45 meaning of runlevel (multiuser / graphic) should be think from the
46 beginning to understand the right way to organise the X11 launch stuff.
47 What about putting startx's $defaultserverarg and $enable_xauth in a
48 /etc/conf.d/xdm (or better : /etc/conf.d/xinit) ?
49
50 (the local.start is a hacky but short and understandable way to do
51 though :), a quick heavier case is there : http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/TIP_Passwordless_Login)
52 Anyway, I'm still a bit lost in the quest of the cleanest way
53 from system init to ~/xinitrc.
54 So any comment, advice, whatever ... would be greatly appreciated.
55
56 Raph
57