From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT: python, accounting & gentoo
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 17:25:38
1 Hello
2
3 I'm looking to learn more about Python and it's capabilities.
4 Since I have some "loose" requirements to integrate some financial
5 accounting and data collection into an sql
6 database, I figured I'd research relevant, existing software
7 as well as writing some code in python, to see
8 how well I like python..... with web, graphics and database
9 systems.
10
11 So what I have found on Gentoo is "openERP"
12 Other software (written in python is a requirement)
13 not in portage, that I have found so far is:
14 GNU Enterprise and Tryton. Any Others?
15
16 So whether it's a basic (python) based accounting system
17 or a full blown Enterprise Resource Planning tool,
18 I have one twist as to what the software must eventually do.
19 I have a myriad of embedded devices that provide all
20 sorts of machine based data (literally pumps, valves, etc and
21 all sorts of sensors) that will also be sending data into the
22 database system. I also have a myriad of very questionable
23 mathematical models that generate "simulated sensor data" also
24 to be included, monitored and analyzed.
27 So I want to find/develop/refine software
28 that is able to collect data from all sorts of disparate
29 sources. To then display it like a normal accounting software
30 package would, but also be able to display some (selective) data
31 in some sort of separate, graphical display, so a particular
32 parameter(s) could be displayed in a (real-time) graphical gui,
33 much like a speedometer on the dashboard of a car, simultaneously too.
34
35 Usually Java, qt4 etc are used to generate the graphical displays
36 on a computer screen. Is python viable as a language/tool to also
37 create these graphics? If not, what would be a good language,
38 that works well with python, to use to develop either web based
39 or display graphics?
40
41 This is an evolving, formative effort, so all input, particularly codes
42 that exist, are welcome. Comments on using python, and other ideas
43 are most appreciated.
47 James