From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing via GRML
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 11:49:44
1 On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 07:59 +0100, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
2 > Am Dienstag, 15. Januar 2008 schrieb ext Michael Schmarck:
3 >
4 > > Nice thing about genkernel (and other such tools in other distributions)
5 > > is, that they also create an initrd.
6 >
7 > Even though most users don't need one. There are only two cases where one
8 > needs an initrd/initramfs:
9 >
10 > 1) Your / fs is encrypted and/or located on a logical volume or soft raid
11 > device.
12 >
13 > 2) You need a propietary driver module for getting at your / fs.
14
15 what about making a nice flash splash?! I think you need an initrd for
16 that too.
17
18 cya,
22 "I used to think that *I* was stupid, and then I met philosophers."
23 -- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)
26 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list