From: Emmanuel Vasilakis <mrzammler@××.st>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Slow UI for firefox 68
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 07:07:18
1 On 21/9/19 12:18 ì.ì., Emmanuel Vasilakis wrote:
2 > On 17/9/19 6:16 ì.ì., Emmanuel Vasilakis wrote:
3 >> Hi!
4 >>
5 >> Just finished compiling www-client/firefox 68.1.0 and I'm seeing a
6 >> very big lag mainly in UI operations. I.e., clicking on the menu
7 >> button (or any other button on the UI) takes 5-6 seconds for the menu
8 >> to appear, during which firefox goes up to using 100% of my CPU.
9 >>
10 >> Even typing something in the URI bar has a lag of 1 sec between key
11 >> presses and text appearing.
12 >>
13 >> I've compiled firefox using these use flags:
14 >>
15 >> clang custom-cflags custom-optimization dbus gmp-autoupdate hwaccel
16 >> lto pgo screenshot startup-notification system-av1 system-harfbuzz
17 >> system-icu system-jpeg system-libevent system-libvpx system-sqlite
18 >> system-webp
19 >>
20 >> (Didn't really change anything from previous firefox versions I
21 >> compiled).
22 >>
23 >> firefox-bin (69.0) behaves ok.
24 >>
25 >> firefox using --safe-mode is also ok.
26 >>
27 >> I did use refresh firefox which wiped clean firefox and removed all
28 >> extensions, but I'm getting the same laggy behaviour.
29 >>
30 >> Anyone else having similar experience? Previous firefox versions where
31 >> all okay.
32 >>
33 >> Thanks,
34 >> Emmanuel
37 > Ok, so by disabling hwaccell and all system-* flags, I got a build that
38 > works.
39 >
40 > Now to see which one causes the problem...
41 >
42 > Thanks!
43 > Emmanuel
46 Ok, just for the history, it's the hwaccel flag that causes the problem.
47
48 It could be a combination of things and not just a firefox bug, but ok.
49 Apart from full screen youtube which seems to run slower than before,
50 it's ok....
51
52 I can reproduce the same behaviour if I turn on
53 layers.acceleration.force-enabled.
54
55 Thanks,
56 Emmanuel