From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Do we have to build gcc with fortran now?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 03:04:30
1 On 6/25/2011 8:04 AM, Dale wrote:
2
3 >> We restructured the dependency chain for fortran support,
4 >> which includes
5 >> a compile test now. The failure can be seen above.
6 >>
7 >> The Problem was in short, USE=fortran was enabled by
8 >> default for linux
9 >> arches, but people tend to disable it. Depending on
10 >> gcc[fortran] doesn't
11 >> work completely as gcc:4.4[fortran] and gcc:4.5[-fortran]
12 >> with gcc-4.5
13 >> select can be installed, which would full fill the
14 >> dependency but
15 >> nevertheless doesn't give a working compiler.
16 >>
17 >> So now packages depend on virtual/fortran and use an
18 >> eclass to check for
19 >> a working compiler. So if you see this message, this means
20 >> you somehow
21 >> worked around gcc[fortran].
22
23 > That make sense?
24
25 Yes. He's saying they didn't change the USE flag, they
26 changed the fortran dependency test to actually do a
27 run-time check for fortran because the USE flag alone wasn't
28 sufficient.
29
30 Which means you most likely had a non-working cantor and no
31 fortran compiler before and just didn't notice :)
32
33 --Mike