From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Duplicate Flash drive
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 02:33:20
1 Hello,
2
3 Background:
4 I've been building firewall for friends out of old pentiums and
5 amd machines for some time now. I have successfully switch to
6 compact Flash 4 G drive, using a CF to ide converter.
9 Now I need to be able to store a generic install on a machine, plug
10 in a new CF module to a CF reader/writer and copy over the default install.
11 From there I can change IP, hostname etc etc.
12
13 I have several CF reader/writers one should do the trick.
14 I have a few questions; and I'm seeking advice on how to
15 scale this up, so new installs and replacing firewalls
16 hard drives is quick and easy. All will use an identical hard
17 drive setup and file systems.
20 I guess I should use 'dd' to copy the entire contents
21 of one CF drive to another? Any example syntax with dd
22 is welcome.
23
24 Should I keep a machine around to run fdisk on a new CF
25 module, or is there a way, I can just plug the CF module
26 into a reader/writer and burn the image onto
27 the CF module directly, and not have to use fdisk to format
28 first?
31 What about grub and the mbr. Will dd copy over all of that information,
32 or do I have to run grub (grub install) manually to ensure the MBR
33 is set properly.
36 Any other comments, caveats or ideas are most welcome. The setup
37 I'm using is as generic as possible so all old 586/pentium/k(amd)
38 arch boxes work....
41 ideas and comments are welcome.
44 James