From: hw <hw@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo as kvm guest with virtio
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 11:06:27
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 12:41 PM, hw <hw@×××××.de> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I'm stuck with 'Could not find the root block device
5 >> in UUID= ...' when trying to boot the guest.
6 >>
7 >> Is grub2 unable to work with virtio devices?
10 > Are you sure that is a grub2 message? It seems more likely that this
11 > is a message from the kernel (unless it is referring to the grub2 root
12 > - posting the entire error would probably help here, and I didn't
13 > realize grub2 even can find its root with a UUID assuming it actually
14 > can). Does your kernel have virtio support enabled? What initramfs
15 > are you using? The problem could lie with either. See if you can get
16 > the initramfs to give you a shell (usually this can be done with a
17 > kernel command line option) and see what block devices it can see (run
18 > blkid or such).
19
20 I think it is a message from the kernel, so I'm trying to figure out
21 which drivers need to be enabled for the kernel to see the virtio-disk.
22 There doesn't seem to be any information at all about what is needed.
23
24 > If you're not using an initramfs then that is your problem. You can't
25 > use UUID to reference your root if you aren't using an initramfs.
26
27 I'm using one, though I'm compiling most/all of what I know that will be
28 needed in rather than using modules. Something must still be missing,
29 and I don't what. At least now I know that the kernel is missing
30 something.