From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] K3b complains about my locale
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 23:01:39
1 On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 3:18 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Thursday 29 May 2008, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
4 > > On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > > On Thursday 29 May 2008, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
6 > > > > When I crank up K3b, it complains about my setup, with the message
7 > > > >
8 > > > > "System locale charset is ANSI_X3.4-1968
9 > > > > Your system's locale charset (i.e. the charset used to encode
10 > > > > filenames) is set to ANSI_X3.4-1968. It is highly unlikely that this
11 > > > > has been done intentionally.
12 > > > > Most likely the locale is not set at all. An invalid setting
13 > > > > will result in problems when creating data projects.
14 > > > > Solution: To properly set the locale charset make sure the LC_*
15 > > > > environment variables are set. Normally the distribution setup tools
16 > > > > take care of this."
17 > > > >
18 > > > > It is correct that this is not intentional (it does seem antique). I
19 > > >
20 > > > have
21 > > >
22 > > > > configured .mybashrc to set my LANG to "en_US", but nothing beyond
23 > > > > that. What "distribution setup tools" is it referring to, so that I
24 > can
25 > > > > correct this on gentoo?
26 > > >
27 > > > What have you set up in your /etc/locale.gen ?
28 > >
29 > > I won't take credit for setting this up, because I don't think I did. On
30 > > the other hand,
31 > > I've had occasion to internationalize a web page to dutch and polish,
32 > which
33 > > appear
34 > > in the list. So I dunno where it came from.
35 > >
36 > > But here's what's there:
37 > >
38 > > # /etc/locale.gen: list all of the locales you want to have on your
39 > system
40 > > #
41 > > # The format of each line:
42 > > # <locale> <charmap>
43 > > #
44 > > # Where <locale> is a locale located in /usr/share/i18n/locales/ and
45 > > # where <charmap> is a charmap located in /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/.
46 > > #
47 > > # All blank lines and lines starting with # are ignored.
48 > > #
49 > > # For the default list of supported combinations, see the file:
50 > > # /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED
51 > > #
52 > > # Whenever glibc is emerged, the locales listed here will be
53 > automatically
54 > > # rebuilt for you. After updating this file, you can simply run
55 > > `locale-gen`
56 > > # yourself instead of re-emerging glibc.
57 > >
58 > > en_US ISO-8859-1
59 > > en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
60 > > #ja_JP.EUC-JP EUC-JP
61 > > #ja_JP.UTF-8 UTF-8
62 > > #ja_JP EUC-JP
63 > > #en_HK ISO-8859-1
64 > > #en_PH ISO-8859-1
65 > > #de_DE ISO-8859-1
66 > > #de_DE@euro ISO-8859-15
67 > > es_MX ISO-8859-1
68 > > #fa_IR UTF-8
69 > > fr_FR ISO-8859-1
70 > > fr_FR@euro ISO-8859-15
71 > > #it_IT ISO-8859-1
72 > > pl_PL ISO-8859-15
73 >
74 > This looks fine. If when you run $ locale you get a list with LANG=en_US
75 > but
76 > further down LC_ALL= (blank), then set export LC_ALL=xxx in your .bashrc
78 > whatever you want your locale set to.
81 Halfway there. I did that, and now "locale" looks like
82
83 kevin@treat ~ $ locale
84 LANG=en_US
85 LC_CTYPE="en_US"
86 LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
87 LC_TIME="en_US"
88 LC_COLLATE="en_US"
89 LC_MONETARY="en_US"
90 LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
91 LC_PAPER="en_US"
92 LC_NAME="en_US"
93 LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
94 LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
95 LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
96 LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
97 LC_ALL=en_US
98 kevin@treat ~ $
99
100 However, when I start k3b from the KDE menus, it still complains.
101
102 On the other hand, if I start k3b from the shell that gives the "locale"
103 results above,
104 it starts clean. So the issue seems to be that I need to inform KDE about
105 the
106 locale.
107
108 I did a fresh boot, and that did not help, so I wonder if .mybashrc is the
109 correct
110 place to do this.
113 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD