From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] My first initramfs
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 21:50:15
1 Ok, looking into this now...
2
3 Reading the referenced wiki page shows this comment:
4
5 > Introduction and bootloader configuration
6 >
7 > To create an initramfs, it is important that you know what
8 > additional drivers, scripts and tools you need to boot your system.
9 > For instance, if you use LVM, then you will need to support LVM tools
10 > on the initramfs. Likewise, if you use software RAID, you need mdadm,
11 > etc.
12
13 I thought I'd mentioned/asked this before, but don't recall a
14 satisfactory answer...
15
16 Ok, up until now, I haven't *had* to 'know' what additional drivers are
17 needed by my system to boot.
18
19 So... how the heck am I supposed to find out? Trial and error?
20
21 I do know I need lvm, so have that one listed... but what else? There
22 has *got* to be some kind of way to analyze an existing system to reveal
23 the 'drivers, scripts and tools' I need for my initramfs so I know what
24 to include?
25
26 And how to do this should be *fully* covered in that wiki page.
27
28 I really feel like I'm being thrown to the wolves here.