From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Deficient Gnome Window Frames
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2013 19:28:50
1 2013/9/6 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com>
2
3 > On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 1:55 PM, gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > 2013/9/6 gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
5 > >>
6 > >>
7 > >> 2013/9/5 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
8 > >>>
9 > >>> On 05/09/2013 14:51, gevisz wrote:
10 > >>> > Usually, when I open a new window frame in Gnome 2, I have a Close,
11 > >>> > Maximize/Restore and Minimize buttons on its upper-right corner.
12 > >>> >
13 > >>> > Sometimes, however, especially when I open a supplementary window
14 > frame
15 > >>> > from a running program, its upper (text) bar contains only the Close
16 > >>> > button with no possibility to maximize the window frame to the whole
17 > >>> > screen, and it is extremely inconvenient.
18 > >>> >
19 > >>> > I do remember that I had a similar problem in Gnome 2 under Ubuntu
20 > but
21 > >>> > somehow managed to get to the configuration where almost all my
22 > windows
23 > >>> > had Maximize/Restore and Minimize buttons. The only exception was the
24 > >>> > Firefox sub-window to save a bookmark. :^(
25 > >>> >
26 > >>> > Just now, I have tries FXCE and found out that it opens all the
27 > >>> > sub-windows with the Maximize/Restore, Close and Minimize buttons
28 > "out
29 > >>> > of the box" and without recompilation of all the programs that do not
30 > >>> > do
31 > >>> > the same in Gnome (except for the Firefox bookmark sub-window, of
32 > >>> > course).
33 > >>> >
34 > >>> > However, I am reluctant to migrate to FXCE right now because at the
35 > >>> > moment I cannot achieve the same look-and-feel as in my Gnome
36 > >>> > (especially, I miss the the all-in-one clock-calendar-weather applet
37 > >>> > with the world map showing the daytime at different locations).
38 > >>> >
39 > >>> > Could anybody advise me how to get the Close, Maximize/Restore and
40 > >>> > Minimize buttons in all window frames in Gnome 2.
41 > >>>
42 > >>>
43 > >>> I think the true answer is
44 > >>>
45 > >>> "You can't. The Gnome devs know better than you what you want"
46 > >>>
47 > >>> I'm happy to be proved wrong though.
48 > >>>
49 > >>> If it bothers you, just migrate to XFCE and deal with the pain. It will
50 > >>> last only a short time.
51 > >>>
52 > >>> Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
53 > >>>
54 > >>
55 > >> Currently, Gnome works better than Xfce for me, because so far
56 > >>
57 > >> 1) I found no way to switch keyboard layout from English to any other
58 > >> language (while Gnome and DWM do this after tackling with evdev
59 > >> configs),
60 > >>
61 > >> 2) Gnome allows more combinations for hot key bindings, for example,
62 > >> I can not assign <Win>+<Shift>+<any letter> to any program launcher
63 > >> in Fxce, while it does work in Gnome,
64 > >>
65 > >> 3) installing Orange in FXCE involves unmasking some dependent
66 > >> packages, but I like to stick to the stable thread.
67 > >>
68 > >> All in all, I do understand why Linus said that Xfce is a step back
69 > >> compared to Gnome 2
70 > >> (but I still have not got why Xfce is a big step forward compared with
71 > >> Gnome 3 :^), as
72 > >> have not tried it so far).
73 > >>
74 > >> P.S. I will probably post a separate question, but if somebody can
75 > >> explain how to setup language keyboad layout switch in Fxce,
76 > >> you are welcome. :^)
77 > >>
78 > >> I set up toggling the keyboard layout to <rWin> key in
79 > >> /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf as follows:
80 > >>
81 > >> Option "XkbOptions"
82 > >> "grp:rwin_toggle,grp_led:scroll,compose:menu,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
83 > >>
84 > >> It works for Gnome and DWM but not for Xfce. :^(
85 > >>
86 > >> Moreover, I need the keyboard layout indicator somewhere on the
87 > >> Xfce panel,
88 > >> but could not find any.
89 > >>
90 > >
91 > > A short update: after installing xfce4-xkb-plugin, which was not
92 > included in
93 > > the xfce4-meta package
94 > > (and I did not noticed it earlier), I finally got a keyboard layout
95 > > indicator. At first, it did not work, that is,
96 > > I could not switch a keyboard layout in no way. However, later, after
97 > > changing some of the plugin's
98 > > settings, it suddenly started to switch the keyboard layout.
99 > Interestingly,
100 > > the applet continued to switch
101 > > the keyboard layout even after I have changed all its settings to the
102 > > original ones. Magically, the <rWin>
103 > > key also started to switch the keyboard layout.
104 > >
105 > > So, my first and most important objection against Xfce4 is no more valid.
106 > > The third one is not
107 > > so important. Only the second is a bit annoying but one can live with it.
108 > > :^)
109 > >
110 > > Now, my Xfce4 looks almost like my Gnome2. Its weather applet is even
111 > more
112 > > informative. :^)
113 >
114 > If you want GNOME 2, you should try MATE. GNOME 2 is unsupported; It's
115 > been years since somebody actually worked on it. Bugs, bitrot and
116 > security vulnerabilities are probably (if not surely) present in the
117 > code base.
118 >
119 > MATE supposedly tries to keep GNOME 2 alive (although its homepage is
120 > down).
123 > Canek Peláez Valdés
124 > Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
125 > Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
128 But I have not found MATE in portage...
129
130 Anyway, it is not so important now, as I have already almost satisfied with
131 my present Xfce setup.
132
133 Thank you for the reply and have a nice weekend.